Sunday, June 7, 2009

magic beans

These Scarlett Runner beans were given to me by my neighbour. They were her Grandfather's beans in England, and she's been growing them successively for almost 50 years - that's viable seed! This year we're growing them up the back porch - with their glorious red blossoms that attract fat bumble bees and hummingbirds ~ they should rival any clematis in town. The beans can be eaten in their pods while small and not too hairy, fresh out of the pod, or dried and cooked. They're worth growing just to hold the beautiful shelled beans in your hand like crimson and black jewels.

1 comment:

  1. Scarlet runner beans are the first beans I ever grew. My neighbor handed me a couple and told me they were ornamental. Still, I decided to have a taste. By that time though, they were big and hairy, (they grew quite fast and reached a little over a foot long), so I wasn't overly impressed. I agree, you definitely have to pick them young. Otherwise, they make a great ornamental. I still grow them every year.

    ReplyDelete