Saturday, September 19, 2009

can't beet this juice

A great way to use extra large beets and carrots from your garden ( or bought from your local farmer's market) is to make juice ~ In my neighbourhood, people leave things on the boulevard, and it was my luck to find a perfectly good juicer one day! It will only make one or two cups at a time, but that is all I need. I just wash and chop the fruits/veg and maybe some ginger or parsley, and pop the pieces into the tube on top of the machine. I made beet, carrot, apple, ginger juice today. The ginger gives a nice, warming taste. Another favourite is apple, carrot, parsley. The colour of the fresh beet juice is quite stunning - a gorgeous, fuschia red. The juice is nutrious and mildly sweet and is rich in natural sugar, sodium, sulphur, chlorine, iodine, copper and vitamin B1, B2, C and bioflavonoids. Some holistic practitioners believe that beet juice combined with other juices like carrot and cucumber are excellent for cleansing the kidneys, liver and gallbladder and for restoring health to these organs. It improves cardiovascular health overall- I have also heard that fresh beet juice increases stamina and endurance for athletes. see here for beet juice nutrition: http://www.juicing-for-health.com/beets.html And the pulp makes excellent compost! happy juicing!

1 comment:

  1. That looks delish ! I have a juicer but don't use it half as often as I should. Thanks for reminding me ! No beets in the garden this year, but I do have parsley and carrots and I bought a crate of apples this week.
    I think I'll fix me a big tall glass ! YUM !

    ReplyDelete