Beautiful red cabbages make for hearty Winter cooking! I will be cooking a big pot of Borscht soon, with leeks and beets from the garden. Meanwhile, I've cooked up a big pot of Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage in the crockpot. I received "The Zero Mile Cookbook" by Carolyn Heriot as a gift recently - it is perfectly arranged by cooking from the garden with seasonal recipes. Carolyn Heriot, of The Garden Path Nursery: http://www.earthfuture.com/gardenpath/ also wrote " A Year on the Garden Path" - an excellent resource for Westcoast gardeners, such as myself.
The Zero Mile Diet book: http://www.harbourpublishing.com/title/ZeroMileDiet comes highly recommended -
many recipes are given for preserving your harvest, and for fermented foods, which I am interested in pursuing. The book covers many topics, including:
• Growing organic food year-round
• The small fruit orchard and backyard berries
• Superb yet simple seasonal recipes
• Preserving your harvest
• Seed saving and plant propagation
• Dirt-cheap ways to nourish your soil
• Backyard poultry—it’s less time-consuming than you
• Growing vegetables in the easiest way possible
• A–z guide to growing the best vegetables and herbs.