Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Salsa Time!

I ran out to the garden in the rain this morning to pick all of the ripe tomatoes before the rain got to them - ripe tomatoes will split in the rain, and rot sets in very quickly. I dug out my old salsa recipe, canning stuff, and set to work! I don't use a food processor, so I don't make a huge amount at one time. 6 large jars today, and probably 6 more tomorrow. I will chop and freeze the remaining tomatoes for later use in soups, chili, etc. here is the recipe I like, as it doesn't produce vast amounts at once: 8 cups tomatoes, finely chopped-unpeeled 1 1/2 cups onions, coarsely chopped 1/2 green pepper, coarsely chopped 1/2 cup red pepper, coarsely chopped 2 - 3 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped, seeds removed 7-8 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped 2/3 cup red wine vinegar 1 small can tomato paste (optional) I use this as I like a thicker texture 1 Tablespoon salt 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper optional: a couple tablespoons chipotle puree (which I use,too for spiciness) *this recipe makes 6, 500 ml. jars I sterilize the washed jars in the oven @175 for 25 minutes, and boil the lids and rims for 15 minutes. The filled jars are placed in a hot water bath for 10 minutes. here's a good guideline that lists equipment needed, and step by step method for hot water bath: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art2816.asp Now I'm listening to the very satisfying 'ping' of the lids!

No comments:

Post a Comment